Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Shedding Pounds and Overcoming Plateaus (Part 2 - How I do it)

I wanted to do a two-part series on Overcoming Plateaus, Part 1 - HOW TO DO IT and Part 2 - how I did it. I wanted to give you the blueprint, and then the practical application of that blueprint.

Make Changes
When I hit my very first plateau, in order to “mix it up” three friends and I decided to go hike Devil’s Marble Yard. What’s that? Sound dangerous to you? Actually, it was the coolest hike I have ever gone on to-date. For those folks that do not live in Central Virginia, it is a mountain located just north of the Blue Ridge Parkway that looks as if someone spilt a bucket of granite boulders down one side. It is truly amazing..
For my most recent plateau that lasted a whopping 8 weeks, my personal trainer and I tried mixing up a variety of things. First, for about six weeks I juiced for two meals a day. Second, we added a third day of personal training per week. Finally, we decided to remove fruit from my diet altogether. Whether it was a mix of all three or subtracting the fruit, my body broke and the pounds started coming off again. You just have to mix it up!


Stay Consistent
During my first plateau, I was so frustrated and devastated that I literally felt like giving up. That is where having a Support Team comes in and I’ll address that more later. They refused to let me throw in the towel for something so miniscule and then the pounds started falling off again.
Having gone through such a horrific experience with my first plateau, when I hit my latest one, I already understood that I had to stay consistent with my workouts and diet. Those are two of the most important things to remember during a plateau. It is not the time to feel frustrated or feel hopeless, because staying consistent will get you through it successfully.  I remained dedicated and disciplined to the workout plan and diet created by my personal trainer. I frequently reminded myself of the goals that I had set for myself in order to remain determined. With the end in sight, this latest plateau was nowhere near as bad as the first. And I can promise you from experience, with each victory they get better and better.

Build Support
Through the course of my weight-loss journey I have formed a group of people to surround me during the good and bad times. During the good times, my support group helps me celebrate even the smallest victory; from running four minutes straight to losing 250 pounds. But during the bad times, my support group picks me up when I am weak and they are strong for me. This group assists me until I can carry myself again. When people ask about the “secrets” of my weight-loss journey, the support group is the real secret. These groups will look differently for each person, but here are a few elements of mine; the giver of tough-love, the compassionate one, the motivator, the encourager, and the visionary. I learned a long time ago that there is no place in my life for an enabler or stumbling block – that is just a good principle for life altogether, but definitely helps in a weight-loss journey.
I’d like to end with another great piece of advice from my Weight-loss Mentor, “God isn’t just pleased with you when you hit your goals, He is pleased with each act of obedience.” Whether you have just a few pounds or a few hundred pounds to lose, making that first step is pleasing in His sight.


Joshua "Bubba" Wade
No Fluff. All Buff.
Fitness. Wellness. Lifestyle.

Be sure to follow me on Social Media!
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment